We only use responsibly sourced materials when making our jewellery so you can be assured that we’ve done the research and are sure that KIND Jewellery isn’t created at the cost of our planet or the people we share it with.
We source these materials from a range of places so here is the down low on what materials we use and why we are proud to use them.
Sterling Silver is the most commonly used silver and is made up from 92.5% of silver mixed with 7.5% of a differing metal (often copper).
Gold is a mineral and it's purity is identified using Carats. Carat refers to the proportion of pure gold mixed with another metal alloy to make up the final metal. 9ct Gold has 37.5% gold in the final metal. 18ct has 75% gold in the final metal.
Platinum is a rare and precious metal. Its benefits are that it is dense, malleable and very unreactive. It is extremely hardwearing and a gorgeous dark silver colour.
We love that materials such as Gold & Silver can be so wonderfully recycled. What was once cherished by one person can be melted down, redesigned and repurposed into a beautiful new piece for another person. All of our designs are cast in 100% recycled Silver & Gold and our wedding rings and bespoke commissions are made using 100% recycled Silver, Gold or Platinum as standard. Our recycled metals are sourced from Vipa Designs Limited
FairMINED Precious Metal
As a Fairmined© Silver and Gold Licensee Tansy Haak, offers certified Fairmined© Silver & Gold as an option for all wedding rings and bespoke projects. These small artisanal minds create job opportunities for local communities and pour money into education projects which will improve the lives of future generations. Pretty cool hey!
You can read more about Fairmined© precious metal here.
‘By buying Fairmined gold you help us to improve our methods, protect the environment and improve our performance in social responsibility’. Rose Reyes, Peru, via fairmined.org
As a Fairtrade registered Goldsmith, Tansy Haak, uses certified Fair-trade gold chains for the necklaces and bracelets in the new collection along side offering it as an option for her wedding ring collection & Bespoke commissions. Supporting Fairtrade certified mines means we can work together to improve the working conditions and environmental practices of mines around the world. You can read more about Fairtrade gold here.
There are some components, like ear posts and scrolls which we currently can’t source in 100% recycled, Fairmined© or Fairtrade precious metal. Where this is the case we are careful to source from suppliers who are members of the Responsible Jewellers Council or offer written confirmation that their products are ethically sourced.
Sapphires & Diamonds
We are committed to using ethically sourced Diamonds & Sapphires in our pieces. These are sourced from around the world depending on the colour and stone we need to create the perfect piece.
Our Diamonds are sourced via Fair Trade Gemstones
Our Sapphires are sourced from Nineteen48, Fair Trade Gemstones & Capricorn Gems
Weather sourced from small artisanal mines
Caring for your Jewellery
- We recommend that you store your jewellery in separate pouches to avoid the pieces scratching each other.
- Store your jewellery in a dry place as any moisture and can cause tarnishing.
- Always remove your jewellery before showering / bathing and don't leave it in a damp bathroom.
- Avoid using any harsh chemicals whilst wearing your jewellery.
- Perfumes and Moisturisers can erode and tarnish the surface of your jewellery so it is always best to remove it before you do either.
- To clean your Silver & Gold Jewellery simply use warm water or carbonated water mixed with a small amount of washing up liquid. Leave your jewellery to soak in the mild solution for 15 minutes and then use a soft toothed tooth brush to clean the surface. Rinse the jewellery off using tap water and wipe dry with a soft towel or cloth.